The Aid & Attendance Improved Pension: Applying for aid

When you're a veteran of war, you deserve to be compensated for the work you've done. If you've served the country and have been on 90 days of active duty during wartime, you're able to apply for the Aid & Attendance Improved Pension. Surviving spouses of those killed at war or after service may also apply for these benefits as a result of their loved one's service.

How do you qualify for the AAIP?

To qualify based on your medical situation, you must show that you need the assistance of someone else to help you with daily tasks like getting dressed or eating. You'll then need to file the Veterans Application for Pension or Compensation.

Can you qualify if you're not in need medically?

You can also qualify for this assistance financially. If you have an average of $80,000 or less in assets, excluding your car and home, then you can qualify for aid.

How can you get help with your application?

Your attorney can help you gather and assemble the paperwork you need to apply for this service. There are around a dozen documents you need to submit to apply for the Aid & Attendance Improved Pension. These include copies of your marriage and death certificates, a copy of your current Social Security Award letter, proof of your income, a physician's statement, banking information, employment history, a list of your doctors and hospitals you've visited within the last year and several others. Once these are gathered, they can be submitted to the Department of Veterans' Affairs for approval.

Source: Veteran Aid, "How to Apply for Aid and Attendance," accessed July 05, 2016

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Upcoming Workshops

3 Easy Steps To Protect Your "Stuff" This workshop addresses frequently asked questions and common misconceptions on Wills & Trusts, Asset Protection, Nursing Home Issues, and Medicaid Qualification.

Join Now! More Workshops

Call Us Today To Schedule A Consultation

We are ready to help you start planning. To schedule an initial consultation, call us at 770-822-2723 or 866-735-9628. You may also contact us online.


Johns Creek Office
11555 Medlock Bridge Road, Suite 100
Johns Creek, GA 30097

Toll Free: 866-735-9628
Phone: 770-822-2723
Fax: 770-573-3379
Map & Directions

Lawrenceville Office
1755 North Brown Road, Suite 200
Lawrenceville, GA 30043

Toll Free: 866-735-9628
Phone: 770-822-2723
Fax: 770-573-3379
Map & Directions


How can we help you?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.