February 2017 Archives

How to handle an estate's credit card debts

In certain situations, Georgia residents may inherit a deceased friend or relative's credit card debt. This may be true if an individual was named as a cardholder along with the deceased individual. It may also be considered marital property assuming that the debt was accrued during the marriage and both parties signed for it. However, it is still possible that an individual would not be responsible for paying any balance owed.

How House bill H.R. 181 could affect Medicaid programs

Georgia residents may have heard that on Feb. 7, members of the House Energy and Commerce health subcommittee voted 19 to 13 in endorsing H.R. 181 after a detailed review session. If passed, the bill would change the way people qualify for state Medicaid programs. The bill was originally introduced on Jan. 3 by Oklahoma congressman Markwayne Mullin and Virginia congressman Morgan Griffith. During the review session, Rep. Griffith said he and Rep. Mullen plan to amend the bill to ensure it only affects annuities that were paid for with marital property.

Singer Bobby Vee's children involved in estate dispute

Georgia residents who are fans of the late singer Bobby Vee may be interested to learn that his children have been arguing over his estate. Robert Velline, known publicly by the stage name Bobby Vee, died on Oct. 24, 2016 after suffering from Alzheimer's disease. A dispute between Velline's four children began a couple years before his death and has not yet been resolved.

5 things to think about before disinheritance

You tried your best as a parent and did all you could to give your children the best in life, but it turns out you really have no control over their decisions when they get older. It can be frustrating and painful as a parent to watch a child turn to drugs, gambling or other destructive behaviors. As you prepare your will or trust and plan for your estate after you die, you may have concerns about your assets and hard-earned money going to a child who may ultimately throw it down the drain. Do you have the option to disinherit your child and leave them out of the will?

Managing the finances of an elderly relative

Georgia residents who have elderly parents should discuss their parents' wishes with them regarding how they want to live and the critical care options they want to be carried out should they no longer be able to make decisions for themselves. It's important to have this conversation early on. Doing so could avoid the conflict and stress that could result when their parents are ailing and they aren't sure what course of action to take.

Upcoming Workshops

3 Easy Steps To Protect Your "Stuff" This workshop addresses frequently asked questions and common misconceptions on Wills & Trusts, Asset Protection, Nursing Home Issues, and Medicaid Qualification.

Join Now! More Workshops

Call Us Today To Schedule A Consultation

We are ready to help you start planning. To schedule an initial consultation, call us at 770-822-2723 or 866-735-9628. You may also contact us online.


Johns Creek Office
11555 Medlock Bridge Road, Suite 100
Johns Creek, GA 30097

Toll Free: 866-735-9628
Phone: 770-822-2723
Fax: 770-573-3379
Map & Directions

Lawrenceville Office
1755 North Brown Road, Suite 200
Lawrenceville, GA 30043

Toll Free: 866-735-9628
Phone: 770-822-2723
Fax: 770-573-3379
Map & Directions


How can we help you?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.