Senior housing, assisted living and long-term in-home care are important services that many people rely on later in life. Without proper planning, however, it may be very difficult to afford these services when you need them. Whether you need to protect yourself or an aging loved one, the ESTATE PLANNING LAW GROUP OF GEORGIA, James M. Miskell P.C., can help. We serve people in Gwinnett County and the surrounding areas.
Considering Your Options
Considering what type of care you or a loved one may need is an important first step in long-term care planning. Attorneys, Jim Miskell and Vikki Clark, will help you weigh the pros and cons of nursing home facilities, in-home care and other scenarios, so you can make educated decisions about how best to plan.
Preparing For The Cost Of Long-Term Care
Long-term care is extremely expensive, which is why it is so important to start planning sooner rather than later. If you do not have the personal finances now to pay for care, we will explain what options are available to you. Some possibilities that we may consider are:
- Purchasing long-term care insurance
- Seeking Medicare benefits
- Taking steps to qualify for Medicaid
Helping Your Loved One Prepare
If you are planning for the long-term care of a parent or loved one, approaching the situation carefully and in a sensitive manner can help make the transition easier. Some tips we suggest considering include:
- Talk to your loved one in advance, so he or she can be part of the decision-making process.
- Plan ahead so financing long-term care does not become an emergency situation.
- Approach the process in phases. A complete transition into a long-term care facility can take a year or more.