It’s the beginning of the New Year and, if you’re like most other people, you’ve probably made some resolutions. Eat healthier, exercise more, quit smoking, save money, or maybe even finally get around to planning your estate. Great! Making a resolution to get your estate planning affairs in order is a big first step. But then…it comes time to actually get it done. And you may be asking yourself one question: how do I choose the best estate planning attorney?
Here is a checklist of what to look for when searching for an estate planning law firm or attorney:
1. Find an estate planning specialist. Lawyers who handle divorce or personal injury are probably highly qualified…to handle divorce or personal injury cases. When you need an attorney who is well-versed in probate, trust and estate planning law…you need an estate planning attorney.
2. Make sure pricing is fixed. Flat-fee pricing will keep costs predictable and prevent financial surprises further down the road. Also make sure you understand what is covered in your flat fee, and that it meets all of your needs.
3. Your attorney should offer a wide variety of estate planning services. Establishing a trust, avoiding probate, creating wills, minimizing estate taxes—a great estate planning attorney will be able to manage these things and more.
5. How fast is the turnaround? A first draft of your estate plan should be ready within a few weeks, with about two additional weeks for making edits and revisions.
6. Find a compassionate attorney. You’re going to be sharing some very personal information with whoever you hire to draft your estate plan. Make sure your attorney is someone you feel comfortable with. Signs of a compassionate estate planning attorney include clarity in explaining the process, who shows empathy, and who speaks to you in layperson’s terms so you can understand the process.
7. Your attorney should care about your estate plan today…and tomorrow. Life circumstances change, and estate plans need to be updated. Your attorney should offer a maintenance plan or otherwise stay in touch to update you when your plan needs to be reviewed.
The Estate Planning Law Group of Georgia is a highly experienced estate planning and elder law firm with a long list of happy clients. We care about protecting your assets and securing your legacy and want the estate planning process to be as seamless as possible. We offer free workshops to gently guide you towards planning your estate. Register for our upcoming workshop and get answers to frequently asked questions about estate planning and more.
3 Easy Steps to Protect Your Stuff
January 22 | 6-8pm | Lawrenceville